Alde heat while winterized?????

Can you use the Alde heat while the plumbing is winterized? We are wanting to do a weekend trip where we would just need the heat. I don't want to dewinterize but I don't want to hurt anything. 

2017 T@B Outback, 2000 Excursion V10 4x4

Comments

• 4ncar4ncar Posts: 267Member
    Proceed with out fear!  :)
    TV- '14 Jeep GC Eco Diesel & '09 JKU 
    2018 320S Outback
  • ScottGScottG Posts: 1,777Moderator
    If you have bypassed the Alde, or relied solely on the "blowout" method, it's fine.

If you have filled the Alde with antifreeze (not recommended by Alde) there may be some additional concerns about heating the antifreeze, but I'm not absolutely certain of that.

Although they share the same heaters, the Alde's glycol loop (for heating the cabin) is entirely separate from the domestic hot water heater.
    2015 T@B S
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Posts: 500Member
    @Jdcouple, yes, as 4ncar stated. Your alde system uses glycol and is totally separate from the water system. When dewinterized, fresh water moves into and out of a tank heated by the alde to provide hot water. When winterized, no water flows in or out of the tank, but the alde circulates heated glycol to provide warmth. The stainless steel water tank is not damaged by lack of water. We camped in late November this way. The t@b was warm and cozy as sleet, snow and wind made the outdoor part of the trip raw and uninviting. Enjoyed the wildlife and getaway grown-up weekend. My recommendation is to go for it! (We have kids 11 & 12 and needed adult time).
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2005 gmc envoy xl. Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • ericnlizericnliz Posts: 3,900Member
    @Jdcouple, Let 'er rip tater chip! That's what 'ya got an Alde heater for! Stay comfy & warm, have fun & be safe out there! ( Just don't forget to crack open a window, or the vent! If 'ya don't you'll be wipin' moisture off the ceiling & walls!)  ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Posts: 1,292Member
    @Jdcouple L@dybug is all winterized (blow out method, antifreeze in traps and waste tanks only) and tucked away in her shed for winter. Actually, I've got the Alde heating right now as I plan to spend the afternoon in hibernation there. I do this pretty regularly, and the alde works great!
    2017 T@B Max S silver and cherry red, TV 2015 Toyota Highlander L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), towed by Big Red, or Silver
  • norwoodnorwood Posts: 21Member
    Our 2015 max q has the manual 3010 Alde control. We are winterized with the blowout method. I am fearful of damage to the heating elements since no water in tank. Should I be concerned if using for cabin heat only? Should the heater circulation pump  be switched off (bottom), normal (center), or warm water pump off (top)? Does the system warm up quicker using both electric and propane? Thanks as always for sharing your experience.
    Dennis and Mary Jo
    North Carolina
    2015 T@b Max Q

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Posts: 1,292Member
    @norwood it’s my understanding that the alde heater runs on glycol. That’s a whole separate tank and system from your water heater tank and water pump with switch for hot water. I have run the alde on both propane and shore power with no problems. Just depends on where I’m parked. If I have shore power I use it. I did dry camp last summer at one spot and then I used propane. The alde heat is a gentle radiant heat, no fan or blower involved like other systems. While it does take longer to warm up than other heaters it provides consistent heat. Usually when I camp I close my windows(leaving at least two locked in the barely open position for ventilation) and door before it cools off, holding heat from the day in. I start my alde about an hour before I know I will want it. It takes some playing with but once you figure out what works for you I bet you will like it, too!
    2017 T@B Max S silver and cherry red, TV 2015 Toyota Highlander L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), towed by Big Red, or Silver
  • SAMSAM Posts: 1,649Member
    @norwood - the way that you winterized permits use of cabin heating with the glycol circulation pump.  If the circulation pump is off, you will not circulate the glycol through the radiators and your cabin will not heat.  Your heater circulation pump should be in the normal (center) position as you stated, and your controls left to right should be "D", "F", "I".  According to the instructions for the manual controls, when you are using both electric and propane, the electric initiates the heat at your selected temperature setting via the knob.  If the cabin temp. drops 2 - 4 degrees F, then the propane kicks in to bring the heat back up to your desired setting.  Some Tabbers believe that the cabin heats up faster with both the electric and propane turned on, but the instructions do not provide that info.  
    Sharon and John - Cleveland Heights, Ohio. Blue and Silver 2017 CSS towed by a 2015 Salsa Red Toyota Sienna
  • ScottGScottG Posts: 1,777Moderator
    norwood said:
    Should the heater circulation pump  be switched off (bottom), normal (center), or warm water pump off (top)?
    Only the middle setting will allow for cabin heat. There is no "warm water pump"--the upper setting turns on the heaters without circulating the glycol. This allows you to have hot water without also heating up the cabin.
    2015 T@B S
  • norwoodnorwood Posts: 21Member
    Awesome! That is exactly the information I need. We are planning a short trip to practice our boondocking skills. Might as well jump right in the deep end of the pool (lol).
    Dennis and Mary Jo
    North Carolina
    2015 T@b Max Q