Tab 400 - Weight-Distribution Hitch Not Recommended Due To C-Channel Construction

I was told that this hitch type can’t be used. My 2017 Ford Explorer (3.5V6) has a Class III hitch but the max tongue weight is 200 lb unless you use the wt-distribution hitch. So I guess I can’t buy a Tab 400?
Thanks for any input. 
2018T@B 400. Ford Explorer TV. Medina, Ohio

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Posts: 300Member
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Posts: 409Member
    edited November 2017
    Class III Tow Package on the Explorer V6 models has a 5000 lb capacity. Tongue weight of 200 lbs can't be right.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • ChaseTheLightChaseTheLight Posts: 12Member
    Thank you both for replying. The Explorer V6 3.5L TiVCT 4WD w Class III tow package allows a weight-carrying hitch up to 3500 lbs. From 3500 to the max allowable (5000) weight they recommend a weight-distribution hitch. Fords online towing guides don’t exactly sync up (pun intended) with the owners manual. Fords online tow guide leads you to believe that weight-carrying hitches have a tongue max around 200 but rises to 600 with a Weight-distribution hitch. 
    My dealer said weight distribution hitches aren’t recommended/allowed on the C channel style trailers.   
    Since the Tab 400 has a dry weight of approx 3000, I plan to buy one and tow with the standard weight-carrying hitch. 
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Posts: 19Member

@ChaseTheLight

In reference to your statement:

My (car?) dealer said weight distribution hitches aren’t recommended/allowed on the C channel style trailers.

That sounds like an incomplete answer. There are several different WD Hitch system designs on the market with several used everyday on C-channel trailers.

What should be important is how the WD Hitch is attached to the trailer frame. Some designs use a C-Clamp style attachment that only makes contact with the upper edge of the trailer frame.

While other designs use a U-Bolt style attachment that contacts the wide sides balancing the load over the full width of the C-channel frame.

Suggest you do more research before for abandoning a WD Hitch solution. TAB-400 dry weight 2,690 pounds will most likely increase to 3,300 - 3,500 pounds loaded for an outing. You should follow the Ford Factory recommendation to use a WD Hitch to prevent TV rear axle over loading, TV rear end sag, and TV handling problems.

You might also investigate this web-site that has a very useful interactive calculator that provides TV and Trailer axle loading for WC and WD hitch configurations.

https://www.ajdesigner.com/apptrailertow/weightdistributionhitch.php

2018 T@B 320 Spitched axle       ++ On Order - - Forecast 02-28-18 shipping + +
    TV: 2017 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, Factory Trailer Brake Controller
    Craig - - Puget Sound, Washington
    edited November 2017
    Thanks MuttonChops- super helpful post. Tab dealer said no to WD hitch so I will pursue that with Tab directly. I would feel more confident about the connection with WD. I read on etrailer.com that if the c channel opening faces inboard - important. Being new at all this it is difficult to know what is legit. 
    After researching further and having my dealer speak with nuCamp, I’m going with the Equalizer 400 wt-distribution hitch. This will match Fords recommendation for my Explorer given the T@b 400 max loaded weight of 3500lb. 
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Posts: 19Member
    Thanks for sharing your final solution.
    2018 T@B 320 Spitched axle       ++ On Order - - Forecast 02-28-18 shipping + +
    TV: 2017 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, Factory Trailer Brake Controller
    Craig - - Puget Sound, Washington
    Yes it helps close the loop for both people watching and for those contributing. Thanks for your help.