Does anyone mount the spare under the back of the T@B Max where it's supposed to be?

I see a lot of modifications for mounting the spare tire and wonder why people don't just mount it where it's supposed to be. It does seem a little low, but has anyone done this and had real problems?

Mines still inside under a seat, but could use the room. I don't really want that weight on the tongue...hard enough to get the the thing unhitched sometimes with my weak, girly muscles.

Comments

• RoameyRoamey Posts: 214Member
    I left my tire under the rear and, after about 8,000 miles, no problems so far. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • jason330ijason330i Posts: 59Member
    I see a lot of modifications for mounting the spare tire and wonder why people don't just mount it where it's supposed to be. It does seem a little low, but has anyone done this and had real problems?

Mines still inside under a seat, but could use the room. I don't really want that weight on the tongue...hard enough to get the the thing unhitched sometimes with my weak, girly muscles.
    Ground clearance, difficulty to remove, and improved weight distribution are some of the reasons we have relocated the spare tire. Don’t think having the spare on the tongue should effect unhitching. You should be using the tongue jack instead of trying to lift it yourself.

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• ChanWChanW Posts: 1,763Member
    edited October 2017
    Yes, we dragged our tail in a couple of places, but mostly in our back yard. Once when trying to get into a slightly humped driveway entrance. We're glad we've moved it to the tongue. For plain old highway and campground use it shouldn't be a problem, though.

We balance the tongue weight by distributing the gear inside the Tab.

I'd say our tongue weight is in the 200# range, which my chiropractor would prefer I don't lift. I use the tongue jack!

You want your tongue to weigh about 10% of the weight of the Tab, or @ 200# - 250#, for stability, and to cut down on sway. It's much safer in handling.

The other (much more important IMHO) reason to get the spare out from under the back is that it's awful when you need to remove it to change your flat tire, especially on the side of a highway and such. Rolling around in the highway dirt/mud, loosening the mounting bolts until it drops on your face... Talk about needing muscles!
    Chan       --         Buffalo NY (Beau Fleuve)
    2014 'S' Maxx - 2011 Tacoma 4cyl Access Cab
     A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya

• DalehelmanDalehelman Posts: 1,135Member
    Roamey said:
    I left my tire under the rear and, after about 8,000 miles, no problems so far. 
    X2
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Posts: 409Member
    Search for "spare tire" and there are endless discussions. ;)
    Here's a poll: http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/4592/where-do-keep-your-t-b-spare-tire
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • MarcelineMarceline Posts: 135Member

There is no way that I would want to crawl around under the trailer to get at the spare in an emergency. The first thing I did was move the spare to the tongue. 
    You shouldn't need to use any muscles to get the trailer unhitched. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S 
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
  • tfire328tfire328 Posts: 16Member
    We moved ours to the tongue. Our driveway has a steep approach from the road and having the spare underneath did not work out well. I like being able to get at it easier if needed because we all know that you only need a spare in the dark during a heavy rain.
    Ted & Donna. Bay City, Michigan. Ford Escape, 2016 Tab Max-S
  • HopsHops Posts: 29Member
    When I tried to get the spare off from underneath it bent all my wrenches. I took it to a repair shop and they had trouble-BUT we did finally get it off. Moral of story, try to take the spare off before you actually are out there needing it. 
    -->BTW, I went with a converter for my T@b wheel so my Tow Vehicle spare fits the T@b. My story at this thread: http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/84357#Comment_84357
    Hops and Cascade
    2017 T@B 320 Max S
    2014 Ford Escape 2.0 EcoBoost
  • drpprmtdrpprmt Posts: 117Member
    I have been trying to find a way to mount the spare on the back,  somewhat like the retro "continental kit" look but I haven't found enough "meat" in the back to support the weight.  I think this could look great but finding solid support for anything, anywhere on the tab is an issue.  I was also trying to fabricate some kind of outside storage but again, finding solid mounting is not possible.  Any thoughts?
  • VernaVerna Posts: 4,216Administrator

I had nüCamp mount an Outback/Boondock rack and basket with tire attachment on the rear of my T@B. I don’t scrape the spare tire on the edges of the dry washes on the gravel roads in Brown County. 
    Verna, Indianapolis, Indiana; 2014 T@B S M@X, white/red, INDIANA  H@@SIER; towed by 2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 TRD 4x4; T@B Administrator
  • ScottGScottG Posts: 1,550Moderator
    As with the Yakima rack, anything you mounted back there should probably be secured to the underlying aluminum frame rails. IIRC from previous discussions of installing the Yakima rack after the fact, the rails start just above the plastic tail piece and are spaced every 10-12".

I doubt any sort of tire mount (other than the Yakima rack) would be commercially available, though a clever fabricator could probably build something.

A receiver hitch would be another option, but it would need to be mounted so far forward on the frame I'd be skeptical of loading that much weight on such a long extension.
    2015 T@B S
  • VernaVerna Posts: 4,216Administrator
    nüCamp does not recommend a receiver hitch on the T@B or T@G.  The frames are not built for such extensions. Do so at your own risk.
    Verna, Indianapolis, Indiana; 2014 T@B S M@X, white/red, INDIANA  H@@SIER; towed by 2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 TRD 4x4; T@B Administrator
  • linolino Posts: 62Member
    Mine stays underneath 
    I also have a little guy 6 wide with the spare underneath and never had an issue
    But I stick to paved roads
  • MouseketabMouseketab Posts: 473Member
    I have a 2007 Dutchmen (but with 16" wheels). My spare has been underneath for 10 years. No issues. Good Sam will pull it out from under there if I should need it.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell, 2009 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
    Madison, AL
  • WilliamAWilliamA Posts: 14Member
    Wherever you carry your spare, it's a good idea to pick up a can of anti-seize.  Use it on ALL of your lug bolts and nuts.  The galvanic reaction between the steel hub and aluminum wheel will prompt them both to corrode and stick together.  You don't have to remove the wheels or spare.  Just do one bolt at a time.  If you REALLY want to do it right, remove the wheels and smear it on the hub where it centers on the wheel.  I do mine once a year or whenever I take a wheel off for brake and wheel bearing maintenance.  If you REALLY want to be good to yourself you'll ditch the factory doughnuts in favor of the solid, one piece nuts.  The cheesy two piece ones WILL strip out between the lug nut and chrome cap, leaving you along the road with a wheel you can't get removed.  Two piece lug nuts are (imho) the dumbest idea in the long history of dumb automotive ideas.  If you aren't up to the job, any competent tire shop will order and replace them for you.  Not to worry.. They will know EXACTLY what you are talking about.  They've seen it before...

I have a thread in one of these forums (with photos) somewhere that covers it.  I think it's in the Little Guy forum.
    WilliamA
  • brookingsbrookings Posts: 14Member
    I'm going to put it under the seat and put a storage box in front of the propane  and battery box. It's nice and clean and dry when you need it.
  • LuckyjLuckyj Posts: 109Member
    edited January 19
    Do not know if this is even possible on a T@B, but I made a mount that is bolted to the corner of the rear corner of the maine frame portion.  Used exsiting holes, had to drill one more per corner side.

This is not touching the wall of the TD.

2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Posts: 679Member
    The tire underneath is 1) dangerous to remove (crashes down on your arm when you pull the second nut), and 2) is almost impossible to reinstall...I had to use my floor jack to hoist the tire into position.  I put the spare on the tongue long ago...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...