Battery monitor panel 400

AMacAMac Posts: 69Member
In the 400, there are the following notations on the battery monitor panel located just inside the trailer door: 4 lights = "C", 3 lights = "G", 2 lights = "F", and 1 light = "L". Dealer says fully charged AGM battery is 13.4 volts and to never let it get below 11 volts. Has anyone correlated the monitor panel lights to specific battery voltages? [edited to change references to volts]

Comments

• RollingBnBRollingBnB Posts: 201Member
    That would be volts not amps.
    2017 T@B S Max White C@stle
    2015 Chevy Silverado & 2017 GMC Acadia
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • AMacAMac Posts: 69Member
    edited October 2017
    That would be volts not amps.
    Thanks - using dealer's words. Would still like to know correlation of monitor panel indciator light to battery state of charge.
  • SAMSAM Posts: 1,649Member
    AMac, do you mean you want to know how many amps the lights draw?
    Sharon and John - Cleveland Heights, Ohio. Blue and Silver 2017 CSS towed by a 2015 Salsa Red Toyota Sienna
    edited October 2017
    SAM said:
    AMac, do you mean you want to know how many amps the lights draw?

No, I want to know what the lights mean - in the simplest terms, is it okay for the state of charge of the AGM battery to get down to one light ("L") before charging it?  
  • SAMSAM Posts: 1,649Member
    Does the 400 battery monitor display voltage, amps or percent of charge?  Do you have a See Level monitor also with battery charge?
    Sharon and John - Cleveland Heights, Ohio. Blue and Silver 2017 CSS towed by a 2015 Salsa Red Toyota Sienna
    edited October 2017
    SAM said:
    Does the 400 battery monitor display voltage, amps or percent of charge?  Do you have a See Level monitor also with battery charge?

We don't know @SAM - that's why the question above - monitor is 4 lights, labeled "C", "G", "F" and "L" from highest (4 lights) to lowest (1 light).  No explanation that I could find in the manuals provided with the tab regarding what the lights mean, and dealer could not tell me.  Not sure what purpose the monitor panel serves as it relates to the battery if we can't find out what it indicates.
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Posts: 2,174Administrator
    AMac said:
    No explanation that I could find in the manuals provided with the tab regarding what the lights mean, and dealer could not tell me.  Not sure what purpose the monitor panel serves as it relates to the battery if we can't find out what it indicates.
    I wouldn't place a lot of value on a light system personally.  If it were me, I would purchase a 12 V LED cigarette style plug in meter to at least provide a ballpark read on where the battery voltage is at.  If your trailer is equipped for solar you could also download a smartphone app that will give you actual real time voltage data.  In the interim, you can buy the LED meter noted above at Walmart or a local automotive store.  
    Mike Smith 
    Linden, Mi
    2015 T@B Max S
    Attached Image
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Posts: 2,174Administrator
    From the looks of the photo you just press on the respective button designated for Gray - Black - Fresh Water tanks and the display to the left will let you know whether it is 25% - 50% - 75% or 100% full or empty.  The same would apply for the battery, but without actually knowing the voltage output that will be a guess.  that's why I recommend a simple 12V LED meter or consider having a more sophisticated set-up like the Trimetric voltage monitoring system.   We do have members who use the Trimetric set-up.  
    Mike Smith 
    Linden, Mi
    2015 T@B Max S
    Attached Image
    From the looks of the photo you just press on the respective button designated for Gray - Black - Fresh Water tanks and the display to the left will let you know whether it is 25% - 50% - 75% or 100% full or empty.  The same would apply for the battery, but without actually knowing the voltage output that will be a guess.  that's why I recommend a simple 12V LED meter or consider having a more sophisticated set-up like the Trimetric voltage monitoring system.   We do have members who use the Trimetric set-up.  
    Yep! Was just hoping somebody might already know what voltage the readouts correlated to. If we end up figuring it out using your tips on measuring voltage from the cigarette type outlet we'll post it here!
  • skwheeskwhee Posts: 217Member
    Here's what we learned from nüCamp:
    C - Charged
    G - Good
    F - Fair
    L - Low

So far we do not know how any of that relates to voltage or depth of discharge. 

in a 400 with the solar package the solar controller monitors the voltage and is bluetooth capable. Although it is located under the bed the smartphone app is easy to use. For more information on that here's a link to a relevant forum discussion:
    http://tabforum.nucamprv.com/#/discussion/comment/78113

If your unit did not come with the solar package, Michigan Mike's suggestion of a voltmeter that plugs into the 12V (round) receptacle to the left of the kitchen window is the simplest solution.

Hope this helps. If we learn more, we'll certainly share. 

Happy Trails!
    Steve & Karen 
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Posts: 93Member

As others have noted your best approach is to use a true voltage meter. That could be the '12v lighter' outlet and a multimeter solution like the INNOVA 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor or a fancy 'dash mounted' display panel. Both types have manufacturers providing products over a wide purchase price range.

As for the TAB Panel Battery Light vs Battery Voltage.

Disclaimer: The following is speculation on my part. I have no direct knowledge of the TAB installed monitor panel.

TAB Panel operates like and appears to be similar to a standard KIB Electronics Monitor Panel. Perhaps it is a TAB branded variation of the KIB M21VW Micro Monitor System found at RV & Marine supply stores.

Some years ago I installed a KIB M21VW on my boat and obtained the installation & troubleshooting manual. Standard Battery Voltage levels across a number of Micro Monitor models are in the manual and are as follows:

Note: To measure the voltage the Micro Monitor compares a reference voltage to the battery voltage. The circuit to generate the reference voltage (per the manual) is stable between 9 and 35 volts. A battery voltage below 9V will cause the reference voltage to be unstable. Would think that 'low light' could be anything below 9V.

The table suggests you need to recharge when the 'Fair light' turns on. Waiting for the 'Low light' will place the battery well below recommended discharge levels.

2018 T@B 320 Spitched axle
    TV: 2017 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, Factory Trailer Brake Controller
    Craig - - Puget Sound, Washington