Campground Finder

I started my journey around the US and Canada a couple months ago in my new t@g and my new travel companion; a black lab named Yoda that I adopted from a rescue. I am really enjoying it so far and I think Yoda is enjoying it even more. I was lucky to find a fury friend who LOVES riding in the car sight seeing hanging his head out his window!
I have never camped previous to June of this year!
I'm running into one issue I need a little advice with though and I figured I wouldn't offend too many people with my question here. As I travel, I'm locating campgrounds to stay at as I go given my logistics are pretty fluid. Example, I'm currently in New England for fall colors and I'm just following the color reports around. 
My issue, I try to locate places to stay using online apps backed up by reading google reviews but I'm finding most of the reviews are from giant land yacht travelers so places that have a ton of great reviews actually end up being places that I generally don't like. I love staying at state and national parks but I have to stop and stay for extended periods from time to time for R&R at campgrounds that at least have electricity. Unfortunately, I seem to only find giant wide open private campgrounds where the majority of the guests are either seasonal or live there permanently in RVs larger than my house!
I'm not knocking these places but I'm looking more for places that cater to travelers and more specifically places that cater equally to small trailer and tent campers. 
I'm wondering if there are any good resources out there better than the apps I'm using to locate campgrounds that are more what I'm searching for.
I primarily use  the ParkAdvisor app when I'm looking to stay an extended period somewhere. I found a site that is kind of an AirBnB for glampers that is pretty cool called hipcamp.com but most of the hosts don't have electrical hookup which I really like for extended stays that are longer than my batteries will hold one charge.
I've considered getting a generator for longer stays but I really don't have any space left to store one.
Any recommendations or advice? 
2017 Silver/Black T@G XL MAX

Comments

• atlasbatlasb Posts: 271Member
    Zurdo5150,  Check out www.stateparks.com.  I ran across this last week and it lets you select each from a map and see what is available.  Not sure how you will like it or if it is what you are looking for.  Have a great adventure and enjoy.  We also travel with a fury friend.  He loves to go!
    2018 T@B 400, 2016 Nissan Frontier Crew cab
  • TammaraTammara Posts: 32Member
    I am new at this as well, and am looking for a campground guide as well. Several people have recommended Allstays.com and there is an app for Apple products.  I have looked at the website and used it a bit on my last outing. If it ever comes out for Android, I will probably get it.  One person told me how they could use filters to find the kind of space they were looking for (they were in a van camper, had a dog, liked out of the way spots).
    2017 T@B 320 S     Jeep Cherokee 3.2L V6
    States Visited Map

• KBaggins1KBaggins1 Posts: 135Member
    We are Good Sam members and we bought their giant guide to campgrounds. It has most of the USA and Canada campgrounds, not just Good Sams. There are reviews and maps in there too. We also use the Nav system in the van and the ever reliable signs at the exit method. But the Good Sams book is well worth the money.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • newellnewell Posts: 128Member
    We also use "all stays" and it has been a great help.  Even in Canada.  It has a data bank built in so it can still work even if you don't have internet access.  It has several filters so you can select what you're looking for such as state parks, private parks, dump stations, even RV friendly Walmarts, truck stops etc.  Best $10 bucks you'll ever spend.
    Earl & Sue | Central NY | 2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado
  • HerFineMessHerFineMess Posts: 17Member
    I agree with newell on Allstays being a GREAT use of ten dollars. The filter feature is so helpful.

I mainly use my KOA and Allstays apps. If I am at home, I use the Good Sam webpage to check out some of the reviews of the places I find on Allstays. I usually check out a place a few different ways before I commit to a booking.

You know what else? I LOVE being in my little T@B surrounded by all of the big rigs! I usually pay for a pull-through site (I am still backing up challenged) and I get a kick out of being the smallest camper around!   

--Meg 
    Mostly A Solo RV Chick 
    T@B Outback
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 
  • WilliamAWilliamA Posts: 22Member
    atlasb said:
    Zurdo5150,  Check out www.stateparks.com.  I ran across this last week and it lets you select each from a map and see what is available.  Not sure how you will like it or if it is what you are looking for.  Have a great adventure and enjoy.  We also travel with a fury friend.  He loves to go!
    I'm with Atlasb.  My favorite place to find good campsites on the fly are the state government websites.  The websites are well organized with good info and can help you avoid the parking lot campgrounds.  Also cheaper.  

WilliamA
    "When I am in charge, Starburst will get their own food group, and where are all the freakin' laser beams?  There should be more laser beams......"
  • Zurdo5150Zurdo5150 Posts: 20Member
    @WilliamA
    @atlasb
    I definitely prefere State, National and even county parks if they don't sell seasonal sites. Question though, have you found most states also require a costly vehicle state park registration on top of the camping fee? Unfortunately, I haven't used any state parks outside of my own state of MI yet because they all seem to close by Sept/Oct. Once I get further south, I'm sure they are open all year and would love to use them. (I'm in NC now)
    Vermont had a cool option for their state park registration that is great for out of state travelers. You can buy a pass good for 10 state park uses for $30 and it never expires. That way you can come back next year and not have to buy another annual pass which is also $30. All states should do this.
    2017 Silver/Black T@G XL MAX
  • WilliamAWilliamA Posts: 22Member
    edited November 2017
    Zurdo,
    I've found that many states require an entry fee on top of the camping.  As a disabled vet I've been able to get the park entry waived in some states.  Also, check for the usual AARP, retired, veteran programs, etc) discounts.  I have a Wisconsin State vet pass (free to disabled vets) and have found other states that will waive the entry fee when I show it.  Don't forget the National park passport.  It's good for all federal parks and monuments.  There are some that require an additional daily fee that can't be waived.   County, state and federal forests offer camping for next to nothing.  I get good info on state dnt websites, but the websites themselves are generally dreadful and hard to navigate.  Guess I just contradicted my earlier post.  The DNR websites for states seem to be the hard ones.  State camping and park sites seem to be pretty good.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst will get their own food group, and where are all the freakin' laser beams?  There should be more laser beams......"
  • KRGKRG Posts: 11Member
    Reserve America has an app for iPhone.  Works great for finding state parks and making reservations.
  • WillieontheRoadWillieontheRoad Posts: 32Member
    edited 1:53PM
    I have been asking people on our T@B adventures if they have ever heard of Campendium.  It amazes me how few have heard of the site.  I can tell you that Campendium has become our #1 guide as we travel. 
    Simple....put in a city close to where you want to camp.  Campendium lists everything in that area from RV parks to state and national parks, COE parks, even BLM locations.  Campers send their ratings and photos. Tab to see amenities and phone service.  GPS coordinates will give you a birds eye view of the campground.
    Every week Campendium sends an e-mail of the five best five-star campsites their users have found.  I have been starring these every week on my Google Map.  Now my map of the USA looks like it has the measles with five-star campsites.  How great is that?
    Hope this helps.  Please give Campendium a try.

2018 T@B 400  Jeep GC
    Alan & Joan Fisher
    Austin, TX
  • PhotomomPhotomom Posts: 1,861Member
    edited April 20
    If you’re interested in NYS state parks or NYSDEC campgrounds there is a fantastic resource that has tons of info including detailed photographs of individual campsites so you can see which sites appeal to you. http://www.campadk.com/campsitephotos/
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • atlasbatlasb Posts: 271Member
    We just got home from 3 nights in central Arkansas at a COE site. Aux Arc park.  Picked up a "your State by State Guide" that list all of the Corps rec areas , state by state CD. It was free and is supposed to be a total listing of their areas.  Look for it at, WWW.CorpsLakes.us .  We find their sites to be a great value and usually well maintained. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2016 Nissan Frontier Crew cab
  • phulishcatphulishcat Posts: 86Member
    if you are willing to use crowd sourced information.  freecampsites.net. it's a hidden jewel. On the site it shows pay sites and free sites with many of the camp sites have reviews from people who actually stayed there.