Ask Subaru to up it's Game

TwojgramsTwojgrams Posts: 687Associate Member
We didn't feel comfortable towing in the mountains with our 4 cylinder Forester, so sold it and switched to a 4Runner. While we like it for towing, we really love Subaru products. I sent an email to Subaru America, asking them for a design that would tow 3500-5000# so we could return to the fold. I encourage anyone else who feels the same to send a message too. I recall another member doing something similar. Might not help, but can't hurt. Here is the polite reply I received: 
"Your suggestion about increasing the towing capabilities for our lineup is both welcomed and appreciated. I have documented your feedback and will forward it to our product development management team for further review. The most valued opinion of any business is that of its customers. Your comments are valuable to us in that they provide us with a clear picture of our products as seen by our owners."
John, Judi, Guinness & OD
T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback/2006 V8 4Runner 

Comments

• BirdieJaneBirdieJane Posts: 122Member
    edited September 2017
    We recived a survey from Subaru early in the year asking questions about a more rugged Outback. It included many questions about increased towing capability.
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2016 Subaru Outback black / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • TwojgramsTwojgrams Posts: 687Associate Member
    @BirdieJane Alrighty then! There's hope! Maybe not in our lifetime. But still. Thanks.

• jason330ijason330i Posts: 72Member
    Aren't they coming out with a 7-passenger SUV?

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

2019 Subaru Ascent 7 passenger built in the new Subaru Globel platform that will replace the current platform. Includes a new Boxer engine. 

• db_cooperdb_cooper Posts: 326Member
    Will be interesting to see what transmission they use in the Ascent.  To me it looks just like a Toyota Highlander.  Given a choice I'd probably go with the Toyota.  And yes, I'm a current and 3 time Subaru owner. 
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• ChanWChanW Posts: 1,869Member
    edited September 2017
    Yep, on our fifth Subaru, but had to go with the Tacoma to tow our Tab.

Really really happy with the Toyota. It might be too late with me, Subaru.  :s
    Chan       --         Buffalo NY (Beau Fleuve)
    2014 'S' Maxx - 2011 Tacoma 4cyl Access Cab
     A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya

• larrygonlarrygon Posts: 211Member
    Found this information "The turbocharged, direct-injection horizontally opposed 2.4-liter four-cylinder “boxer” engine powering the Ascent will mark an entirely new engine family for Subaru." here;
    http://www.motortrend.com/news/production-2019-subaru-ascent-to-go-on-sale-in-2018/
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@x S White with Grey trim | TV 2014 3.6L Outback | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Sheila4tabSheila4tab Posts: 1Member
    We've been very satisfied towing our T@B Max-S with our 2.5L Subaru Outback.  We have crossed the country several times.  We cannot zoom up steep hills, but we enjoy having a fuel efficient vehicle when not towing.  
  • SamrollseyesSamrollseyes Posts: 7Member
    So far my 2.5 l outback is performing well pulling my T@B S. I'm ok going slower that 75-80 mph (interstate speed limit in Idaho). Having a bigger towing capacity would be nice, but until then, I'm a happy camper!
  • TrailpixieTrailpixie Posts: 83Member

Subaru may not be as bad as you think.  I posted this comparison in another thread. Heavier Springs on an outback or forester would yield a pretty strong towing platform.

POWER to WEIGHT RATIO for TOWING

2017 GRAND CHEROKEE

• Weight 4545
    • Tow Rating 3,000 lbs
    • HP 290
    • Torque 260
    • power to weight ratio Hp/lb  0.064
    • torque to weight ratio ft-lbs/lb 0.057
    • power to weight ratio with 2,000 lbs camper Hp/lb 0.044
    • torque to weight ratio with 2,000 lbs camper ft-lbs/lb 0.040

2018 OUTBACK

• Weight 3814
    • Tow Rating 2,700 lbs
    • HP 256
    • Torque 247
    • power to weight ratio Hp/lb 0.067
    • torque to weight ratio ft-lbs/lb 0.065
    • power to weight ratio with 2,000 lbs camper Hp/lb 0.044
    • torque to weight ratio with 2,000 lbs camper ft-lbs/lb 0.042

2016 FORESTER XT

• Weight 3614
    • Tow Rating 1,500 lbs
    • HP 250
    • Torque 258
    • power to weight ratio Hp/lb 0.069
    • torque to weight ratio ft-lbs/lb 0.071
    • power to weight ratio with 2,000 lbs camper Hp/lb 0.045
    • torque to weight ratio with 2,000 lbs camper ft-lbs/lb 0.046
    Are you sure that tow rating for the jeep is correct? I believe a new Grand Cherokee can tow over 6000 lbs when properly equipped.

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• TabberJohnTabberJohn Posts: 412Member
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • TrailpixieTrailpixie Posts: 83Member
    jason330i said:
    Are you sure that tow rating for the jeep is correct? I believe a new Grand Cherokee can tow over 6000 lbs when properly equipped.
    That tow rating is correct if you don't get the $800 tow package. The comparison is with the standard package. BUT, the 6-cyl power numbers remain the same. 

You can can add heavy duty Springs to an outback or forester which will help to bring gen out the eight handling. 
    jason330i said:
    That tow rating is correct if you don't get the $800 tow package. The comparison is with the standard package. BUT, the 6-cyl power numbers remain the same. 

You can can add heavy duty Springs to an outback or forester which will help to bring gen out the eight handling. 
    I still see a minimum tow rating of 3500 lbs for the grand cherokee with the standard package. And of course, why would you not get the tow package if you plan to tow with it?

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• TabberJohnTabberJohn Posts: 412Member
    edited November 2017
    As others have noted the Ascent changes the game for Subaru in regard to towing capability.
    5000 lbs tow package along with Subaru's new 2.4-liter direct-injection turbocharged flat-four engine generates 260 horsepower and 277 lb-ft of torque.
    Perhaps we'll see a jump to 3500 lbs on other Subaru models outfitted with the same engine.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • RonRon Posts: 89Member
    Turbo charged engines are great for the western states.  My f150 performs much the same at the top of the pass as it does at the bottom.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2012 Jeep Rubicon 2dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • PhotomomPhotomom Posts: 1,866Member
    The Ascent looks like a contender. Pay close attention starting around 1:10.

John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • TwojgramsTwojgrams Posts: 687Associate Member
    @Photomom Thank you and others for posting about the Ascent! And a T@B! Yippee ki yay!