Memory foam mattress topper

I travel solo, sleep wheel-to-wheel and keep the bed down and made all the time. I have a 1 1/2 inch topper and just purchased a 3" topper from Costco ($20.00 off) to replace it. My concern is that it covers the heat vents. Does anyone else have a 3" topper and does it interfere with the heat distribution?  I use the back shelf for clothes storage so I can't cut vents in there. 
Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)

Comments

• VernaVerna Posts: 4,217Administrator
    @cbarnhill, can you cut a couple of inches off of the topper to help keep it and your bedding away from the heating slots?
    Verna, Indianapolis, Indiana; 2014 T@B S M@X, white/red, INDIANA  H@@SIER; towed by 2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 TRD 4x4; T@B Administrator
  • ericnlizericnliz Posts: 3,568Member
    @cbarnhill, We use a brace to raise ours. Our mattress topper also covered the rear vent as you are describing. Got the idea from who else.... @Dalehelman! Works great.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Eric & Liz  Spokane, Wa.

• cbarnhillcbarnhill Posts: 264Member
    @ericnliz if you are recommending raising the shelf above the fins by an inch and holding it open with a brace, you are suggesting exactly what frank (Tabaz) recommended. You guys are so smart ;-). Franks going to do it for me when the weather cools down in Arizona-if it ever will..
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • ericnlizericnliz Posts: 3,568Member
    @cbarnhill, Yep, you got it!!! I used a piece of old broken ladder ball frame to make mine. I believe @Dalehelman used a scrap piece of PVC he had. I just cut a notch in mine to fit on the center frame board below the shelf to keep it in place. Works well...cost..$0!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Eric & Liz  Spokane, Wa.

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Posts: 1,114Member
    @cbarnhill way back somewhere on the forum pages there was a great mod done to help with this. @Verna may have also been involved, but don't quote me on that. On either side of the back shelf area is the small V shaped side wall. Someone took both out and replaced it with a grate of some sort. This allowed the warm air out while keeping objects on the shelf from falling into the abyss. Someone else took theirs out, did some scroll saw work to open it up, then replaced it. Hope this helps!
    2017 T@B Max S silver and cherry red, TV 2015 Toyota Highlander L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), towed by Big Red, or Silver
  • TboneTbone Posts: 22Member
    We have a 2015 cs/s whenever our bed is made it covers all venting to the Alde. Unless I missed something. However, the radiant heat will run you out. Fresh glycol was recently added.
  • marilyncpmarilyncp Posts: 127Member
    Chiming in here.... Chris Krieg drilled 3 or 4, 2 1/4" holes into the back shelf and plugged them with a small vent.  His post can be found on the T@B Camping Trailers page... https://www.facebook.com/groups/24931511064/search/?query=vent

But question, is it necessary to vent the back shelf on the newer models (2017 T@B S)?  Mine has a small space at the very back of the shelf that seems to vent fine, but I know @cbarnhill that you have an older model.  

M@rilyn
    Previous 2017 T@B S owner... c'est l@ vie
    But still passionate about the brand!

There is no need to vent the newer models, @Marilyncp. The slot at the rear of the shelf replaces the front facing vent of the 2014, 2015 and some of the 2016 models. 

@cbarnhill has said she stores her clothes on top of the shelf, so any vents on the top would be useless. 
    Verna, Indianapolis, Indiana; 2014 T@B S M@X, white/red, INDIANA  H@@SIER; towed by 2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 TRD 4x4; T@B Administrator
  • marilyncpmarilyncp Posts: 127Member
    Thank you Miss @verna!  I didn't think so but thought I would ask.

PS. Love what you guys are doing to the forum. Thank you all for your hard work and great advice!
    M@rilyn
    Previous 2017 T@B S owner... c'est l@ vie
    But still passionate about the brand!

You're very welcome, Marilyn. Slowly but surely we are straightening things up so it's easier to find, merging like threads into one (such as T@B Sightings), and just trying to be a more friendly place to spend some time. Thanks for the kind words. 
  • 2Cougs2Cougs Posts: 370Member
    @Tbone - I believe the vents are under the bed and not blocked by the table when the bed is made.  We just make sure once we arrive at our destination to not store anything under the bed that would block the vents.

2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

edited September 2017
    @2Cougs, @cbarnhill has an S model and you have the CS-S. She uses the sofa as a twin bed and has the mattress pad and bedding on top of the sofa, which does block the vents. She and another T@B owner have it figured it out. 
  • TboneTbone Posts: 22Member
    2Cougs said:
    @Tbone - I believe the vents are under the bed and not blocked by the table when the bed is made.  We just make sure once we arrive at our destination to not store anything under the bed that would block the vents.

Thanks, that's been our practice and haven't had any real issues with the Alde after learning how the analog controller works.
  • 2Cougs2Cougs Posts: 370Member
    @Verna - Thanks!  Forgot that was the original question and was commenting to Tbone who has a CS-S like we do.  Perfect example of why we love you and all you do to keep us on track!
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

@2Cougs, you're fine. Sometimes it takes another set of eyes to see clearly. And you guys have a lot of smoke in front of your eyes right now  :s