2018 T@B S basic - starting 1st vacation trip

RoameyRoamey Posts: 214Member
edited September 2017 in Camping & Travel
Hi,
  We are a retired couple taking our first vacation trip in our 2018 T@B basic 320 S, tow vehicle 2012 Frontier, V6, 6 spd manual. It was delivered late to the PA dealer, so we took delivery and then started out to Banff National Park the next morning. We really like the large, airy windows and the table design is pure genius. The U-shaped seating is wonderful. Another couple with a larger camper liked our seats much better. We really want to like it, but the gas refrigerator going out while driving is a major problem. I probably wouldn't have purchased it if I had known. 
  Refrigerator update - I was thinking that diffusing the air to the gas flame like the old tin candle lanterns with the small punched holes might help. At the next Walmart, we stopped and I got some metal screening material. I cut out a piece to fit behind the vent. 

It didn't work.
  Next we stopped at a hardware store and I got some duct tape and put one strip on the vent to shield the flame. We have since driven through plains where high wind warning signs are posted, driving around 60 mph. I had to pass a double tanker truck on a two lane highway and reached 80 mph. It has now been four days without the gas refrigerator going out, problem solved?

We drove from Canada to Montana to Massachusetts without the refrigerator gas going out. It's now official, we like our T@B!  

I have to update this three months later - on a one day drive, at two consecutive stops for gas, the refrigerator propane was out and food temperature was in fifties. Problem is unresolved and refrigerator remains unreliable.   This is a big problem for me and our enjoyment of the T@B. 

How we are using the limited space:
  We keep the silverware in a little tool box. 

The storage under the dinnette seat became the pantry for canned, bottled, boxed, and packaged foods. When opened they went into the refrigerator or cupboard under the sink. The bed slats I moved under the couch cushion where they are actually easier to retrieve. Our clothes go under the sofa seat and tools and hoses, etc., go in tow vehicle. 

We didn't raise the sofa back each day, so this is my reading chaise lounge with feet up on the dinnette seat. These seating options are what make the T@B unique in my opinion. 

Then at night we slide out the dinnette seat cushions, unroll the sleeping bags, and we're good to go. 

T@B trip wherever
New surprises everyday
   See beautiful world

Comments

• RoameyRoamey Posts: 214Member
    edited June 2017

T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Posts: 1,111Member
    @Roamey, nice pics! I've been on two trips now in our MaxS since we got her and I'm still learning how to use things! I do know that with the fridge you need to pre-chill it overnight, and add chilled items. I included a couple of quart bottles with frozen water since I'm still not sure which end is up, and I haven't slowed down long enough to read the manual. Same with the Alde. Mods are really just whatever you want to do to make your journey more comfortable. Some people never do mods. Enjoy your travels, and good luck settling in!
    2017 T@B Max S silver and cherry red, TV 2015 Toyota Highlander L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), towed by Big Red, or Silver
  • RuntarootiRuntarooti Posts: 85Member
    edited June 2017
    @Roamey nice photos! More fun to come, lots to learn.
    What is the size of your table? It looks larger than mine.....maybe it's the angle of the picture.
    I'm sure you already know you can take the table leg off. It stows nicely in the passenger bench.
    2015 T@B Max CS-S Silver and Black
    Goes where it's towed to by 2017 Subaru Outback
    @Runtarooti hope I'm doing this comment thing right. The table is 28" X 15".  Thanks.
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • RuntarootiRuntarooti Posts: 85Member
    edited June 2017
    Perfect comment @Roamey. Same size......the camera angle makes it look more square.
    Always curious what they change on the new models. They really listen to the users and try to respond as they can to make improvements.
    I really like the new Marble fabric. Looks very classy!
    The 3 way fridge is FREQUENTLY discussed here - all the pros and cons. Keep reading.
    I hear they are planning to  start installing the 3 way in the clam shell. Right now I have a 2 way. Not quite sure if I would want one or not. Maybe with the rear installation and venting, the propane will not blow out while traveling.
    2015 T@B Max CS-S Silver and Black
    Goes where it's towed to by 2017 Subaru Outback

Our first time at Walmart camping - yuck!  However we did make some purchases. First "zombie" stopped while driving by in his car and talked from his window while I was sitting at the table window talking back. He was surprised it had more than beds in it. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
    edited June 2017

sunset from Dilworth, MN Walmart
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world

What's that little truck with the big wart on its butt?
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world

DW won't drive with camper, so has been learning how to text and started taking photos as we drive. We took a wrong turn and got stuck in Chicago. At the end of the day I collapsed. Then we went by the Badlands in North Dakota. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • NewfisherNewfisher Posts: 106Member
    A great journey remembered always has some speed bumps.
  • RatkityRatkity Posts: 3,077Member
    Newfisher said:
    A great journey remembered always has some speed bumps.
    It's even better if they are the tailgaters and bad drivers that are the speed bumps! j/k!!! *hides from wand*
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    edited June 2017
    Someone just walked by and said we live in the canned ham camper. 

T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
    Roamey said:

This is the view from the campground, where am I? 
    Going towards or from sites 601 to 630 LOL. Mt Rainer? Grand Tetons?
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    edited June 2017

View from the Trailer Court campground. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
    Rained all day yesterday, so we checked out how the 1%'s vacation at a local hotel. Listened to some music and had a snack. 

T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
    Looks like Glacier Lake. I bet that water is cold! Great pictures!!!
  • SAMSAM Posts: 1,404Member
    What hotel is that?
    Sharon and John - Cleveland Heights, Ohio. Blue and Silver 2017 CSS towed by a 2015 Salsa Red Toyota Sienna
  • DonnabDonnab Posts: 53Member
    Beautiful pics!
    Donna 2017  Maryland resident Colorado land owner outback white/black Toyota Tacoma  ; )
    You are having quite a trip Roamey!
    Sharon and John - Cleveland Heights, Ohio. Blue and Silver 2017 CSS towed by a 2015 Salsa Red Toyota Sienna
  • 2Cougs2Cougs Posts: 370Member
    I was right!  A trip to Lake Louise!  Head south to Spokane and we'll meet you for breakfast!
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• LibrarydragonLibrarydragon Posts: 84Member
    Beautiful, thanks for sharing. Hoping to go to Canada this August.
    Sara&Carl
    2015 max s outback, TV 2011 RAV4, V6, 4x4
    Soquel, CA
    edited June 2017

Here you go, Sam

Vacation sunrises are the best

This is where Banff National Park began; a hidden thermal pool and the white explorers discovering it and deciding to make a few bucks. It had been a sacred site for the Indians. 

T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
    We were up there a number of years ago in the Fall and the Elk were bugling like crazy!  Beautiful place!
    edited September 2017

Hopeful campsite greeter
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
    Amazing pictures!!! Just awesome. :clap:
    W.O.W. !!
    edited June 2017
                        Waterton Lakes National Park

T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world