Need advice getting sticker glue off windows.

HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Posts: 1,111Member
I've been able to peel the stickers off that the dealer put on inside the windows, but there is tape residue. I've got Goo Gone but want to be sure it is safe on our windows. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
2017 T@B Max S silver and cherry red, TV 2015 Toyota Highlander L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), towed by Big Red, or Silver

Comments

• TabfortwoTabfortwo Posts: 54Member
    It should be fine it's citrus based no chemicals.
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Posts: 1,111Member
    Thanks @Tabfortwo
    2017 T@B Max S silver and cherry red, TV 2015 Toyota Highlander L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), towed by Big Red, or Silver
  • booboo Posts: 625Member
    WD-40 and elbow grease.
    We use this method to remove emblems from motorcycles. No damage to paint.
    @boo, this is the synthetic "glass" windows, so I want to be very careful with them. I know amonia based cleaners like Windex can make them cloudy, so I am leery to go this one without advice.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Posts: 300Member
    I've used a hair dryer on "gluey" residue in the past on many different surfaces.  Just carefully warm the residue up just a bit with the dryer and the residue will soften up.  Depending on the glue, I can usually just use a finger or a soft cloth to remove it from the surface. 

• booboo Posts: 625Member
    Give Nu Camp a call and ask for their advice.
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Posts: 20Member
    @Homebodyatheart, what did you end up using to get that sticker tape residue off your window? I had the same problem. The manual says no WD-40 or solvents or petroleum based (which seems to include Goo Gone and Goof Off) because they etch acrylic. I was shocked we can't even use Windex. I wish the manual said what we could use! Youtube and general Googling came up with conflicting answers. So, I used @pthomas745 suggestion of the hair dryer, which did take off the paper but still left a gooey sticky streak. Then I used canola oil which took it right off, then soapy/wet towel to wash the oil residue. It's hard to know for sure while in the garage, but the window appears in clean and without scratches. <fingers crossed>
    Debbie in Central Oregon
    2018 T@B 320 S, TV: 2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport 4WD
    @dsfdogs it’s hard to remember what I used, but it may have involved coconut oil and/or blue Dawn dish soap. Or silicone spray and Dawn. Those would be my go-to’s. Congratulations on getting it off!